Social media researcher/analyzer to monitor online hate speech against Roma
Title: Social media researcher/analyst to monitor online hate speech against Roma
Position: fixed-term consultancy services
Period:21 July – 20 October 2023.
Deadline: 14 July 2023
As part of the Countering Online Antigypsyism and Cyberhate (COACH) project, funded by the European Commission, Center Amalipe seeks to engage an expert/researcher to research online hate speech against Roma and develop products to overcome negative stereotypes. The aim of the project is to counter illegal online hate speech against Roma by supporting the development of balanced online narratives and encouraging critical thinking among internet users in Slovakia and Bulgaria. As a researcher/data analyst, you will work closely with a monitoring expert based on a developed monitoring methodology that will provide guidance on how to monitor online anti-Roma hate speech across different social media platforms in Bulgaria.
- Participation in a one-day online training on social media monitoring and analysis. It will include research methods, data and evidence collection, report layout for downloading, link archiving, safety measures and use of available technological tools that allow for large-scale monitoring of social media activity related to online hate against Roma in Bulgaria.
- Monitoring online anti-Roma hate speech on social media in Bulgaria:
Monitoring of hate speech in various public and professional FB groups and other social channels in the period 08-30.09.2023.
documenting cases of online hate speech against the Roma community in Bulgaria
- Preparation of a 20-page report, which should include (possibly other highlights):
Compiling a map of hate networks exclusively or partially targeting Roma on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and TikTok etc. in Bulgaria, based on evidence, available and reliable data.
Outlining patterns of hate speech
Proposing strategies to tackle hate speech on social media
- Participating in the development of online products to address hate speech.
- Working closely with the monitoring expert to ensure compliance with the established monitoring methodology.
- Provide support in the development of strategies and interventions to counter online hate speech.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as social sciences, communications or data analysis. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Proven experience in research and data analysis, preferably related to hate speech, social media analysis or human rights issues.
- Experience in social media monitoring/data analysis
- Experience in conducting research using quantitative and qualitative methods
- Fluency in English and Bulgarian required
- Knowledge of the Roma community and its challenges is highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a remote team.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work with large data sets.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, equality and social justice.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover letter
Send documents to email@example.com. Please include “Researcher/Social Media Analyst to monitor online hate speech against Roma” in the subject field of your message. Deadline for submission: 14.07.2023.
The selection will be made on the basis of documents and, if necessary, the selected candidates will also be invited to an interview. Thank you for your interest!
The project is funded by the Citizens, Equality, Rights and Values Programme (CERV).